MyOMaps is a SmartPhone App that offers new options for Orienteering.
MyOMaps is useful to mappers, course planners, event organisers placing controls in the forest and of course Orienteers for training and competition...
- Take the latest version of your map with you into the field and know where you are on the map. You can even use a tablet device to see a large screen view. Record tracks and mark features to assist with your mapping.
- During your field visits, track your position in real time on your Orienteering Map. Be absolutely confident you are at the right location, and confirm the accuracy of the map.
- Track your position on the map and be sure you have the controls in the right places when you put them out.
- Training – Set your own course – The App will alert you when you get to the control site – without there needing to be a physical control at the site. Run the same course multiple times and compare route choices.
- GPS Orienteering Events – Participate in events using GPS rather than Flags and SI units to mark locations and record splits.
- Permanent Courses – Download a permanent course and run it with the App to record your splits - Be the best!
- Spectators/Parents – Track your runner/child in real-time with the tracking option (future release).
There are many ways to use MyOMaps. Following is a list of its key functions:
- Uses your own map as the mapping base (Mobile phone coverage is not required)
- Records your track; time; pace
- Charts your pace, distance and elevation
- For training purposes - gives audio announcements of your distance and pace at intervals you can set (Android only)
- Can drop a pin at the current location
- Exports tracks and pins in GPX format
- Imports Orienteering Maps from OCAD (Geo-referenced Map from OCAD 10 or 11) in KMZ format
- Imports other KMZ format maps
- Controls the transparency of the map to see through to the Google Map for easy cross-checking of map accuracy
- Creates your own geo-referenced map easily in two steps (Android only):
Take a photo of a map with your SmartPhone (for example the O-Map (and course) you have just run)
Or use a jpg file version of a map from the web or your PC
2. Position/Rotate/Scale the image to Georeference it as a map in the App by dropping a pin on two easily identifiable points on the image of the map and dropping corresponding pins on the two corresponding locations on the Google Map. Save the map as a KMZ for future use.
Orienteering Course Functions
- Import a course file from OCAD or other system (eg Corpse) in IOF XML format
- Courses can also be simply created by placing pins (for controls) in Google Maps. This creates a KML file that can be used as a course file.
- Display the course on the map
- Courses can be kept secret with a PIN that is required to view the course. Normally the organiser would give the runner the PIN at the start to enable the course.
Run the selected course using the following functions:
- The timer starts automatically at the Start Triangle and Stops at the finish
- The smartphone Beeps and vibrates when at each control location (no flag or SI unit required)
- MyOMaps records split times
- Events can be line course, scatter or score
- MyOMaps allows the runner to “Manual Punch” if the GPS signal does not indicate proximity to the control yet the runner believes they are at the control site.
Run either a hybrid or fully-digital Orienteering training or competitive event:
- Paper map or electronic map (on the screen of your smartphone);
- Electronic maps do not show your current location or track during the event
- Physical controls on site or just GPS locations;
- SI for recording controls visited and split times or using the GPS and recorded time
Run a conventional course, a scatter event or a score event (time-limited scatter event where the aim is to visit as many controls as possible in the time).
Record your track as per GPS functions above.
- Display your splits and GPS track on the SmartPhone
- Create a results file in OE format
- When saved, the results are combined with other results for the same course to produce a results file containing all competitors. (GPS tracks are also saved)
- This OE file can be imported into Orienteering Results systems (WinSplits, Routegadget etc)
- If there is a matching event setup in RouteGadget - the splits and GPS track are published immediately
- Track runners in real-time with a matching spectator App
- This is a future feature and relies up there being mobile phone coverage of the course